06 June 2009

Almost ready

Today I can declare myself almost ready for summer ... garden wise. I planted the containers out front of the house just moments ago with geraniums and impatients and watered the bejesus out of them. One of the planters has sprouted both a sunflower and a couple of pumpkin seeds which I am leaving alone. Can't wait to see what happens there.

And I've planted the sunflowers on the west side of the house along with more pumpkins. Lots more pumpkins. Those seeds have sprouted and are moving right along. There are still some morning glories to go in along the fence near the gate but again, I'm making progress.

Inside the fence I have all of my other pumpkins and sunflowers planted, my raspberries are coming into fruit, my blueberries have green berries. The broccoli is brockling and my peas are growing and blooming. No peas as of yet. The boxwoods I moved are settling in well as are the dwarf spruce , the decorative grasses and my King River White Birch. My kitchen garden has all of it's herbs planted along with a couple of grape tomato plants. And in various spots I have tomato seedlings coming up from last year along with yes, more pumpkins from last year's seeds.

I look around at my tiny yard which still sports too many weeds and realize I've recreated a lot of memories on this little plot of land. White birch, always in a stand on the side of the house my dad built, right outside our bedroom window. spice bush and mountain laurel, seen nightly on our yard tour with mother. Raspberries ... who can forget the raspberries at Grandma M's. We'd pick them for breakfast and eat them with fresh cream. Sunflowers, the fields in bloom as I drove the windy road to my first place when I moved back home to the valley. Pumpkins, how my children and grandchildren love to pick just the right pumpkin.

Yes it seems I am planting a water colour of my life and I am almost ready now to sit down and enjoy it.

2 comments:

  1. Did that all come with a free tube of Ben-Gay? And is your mountain laurel like our mountain laurel? Slow growing, flowers like wisteria, and smelling like grape koolaid?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No JG our mountain laurel has pink flowers on them which are in a round kind of cluster. Don't think they smell like grape kool-aid but do smell sweet.

    ReplyDelete