06 January 2009

Calm before the storm - time for a new hairdo?

I have had the past 6 days off and all in all the weather has been okay. I've taken the dogs for walks, been able to get out shopping and feed the birds. It's been all good. So it kinda figures that tomorrow when I am to return to work at 0 dark 30 in the a.m. the weather man is predicting sleet, snow and freezing rain. I guess I don't have the luck of the Irish after all. Instead of sitting on my arse, looking out the window thinking, "Gee I hope everyone is gonna be okay out there today" I will be slipping and sliding my way to work.

Of course the weather is good for business. I'm trying to decide whether it will be tib/fib fracture or femur fracture day. I'm kinda putting my money on the former as it is the younger crowd who break their ankles. And with the weather predicted I'm hoping the hip fracture crowd is learned enough to stay home. However you can never be too sure....

Last year one of our frequent fliers came in with a broken arm. It was a very, very snowy winter day, one of those days when the police say only necessary personnel should be on the streets and you try like hell to convince yourself that an RN isn't necessary personnel. Anyway, you could barely see in front of your face and out goes our friend Ruth to get her hair done. Yup, don't cancel the hair appointment. Why you could end up dead and what would happen then, if your hair wasn't done. And our friend Ruth was in her 90's. She ended up doing well with the arm thing but if I'm not mistaken she passed away this spring/summer from some unrelated cause, like old age. And I'm betting she looked good.

Be safe out there.....KnitWit Nurse

No comments:

Post a Comment