19 January 2010

Better days are coming

Or at least they'd better be. Went into work this morning which was a big, stupid thing to do in retrospect. I felt so well when I woke up and instead of thinking, "gee, this might not last" I said "sure, I'll come in and help out" when I got the phone call from the nursing supervisor. I arrived on time only to find out that I had pissed off the nurse who was supposed to be in charge as she was now out on the floor. She made it very clear that she didn't want to work the floor and wasn't even grateful that someone had come in to make her day easier.

By early morning I had started with the 'hit by a truck' syndrome, chills, achy feeling, nauseous and the legs swelled up like puff pastry. I stole into the clean utility room on the ortho unit and 'borrowed' a pair of thigh hi compression stockings and my legs felt so much better. Anti-nausea meds saved the day (as did Gina's wonderful home made rice pudding from the cafeteria) and I high tailed it out of work by 1300.

After a nice nap and some chicken soup I feel better but have determined that I won't be going back to work until I have one whole good day at home. I really don't know what I was thinking. I've known nurses to be out of work for a week with a cut finger for craps sakes. Why do I always have to play at being stoic?

The sisterhood of friends and siblings keeps me going. Off to work on a shawl. Peace.

1 comment: